• Welcome to Traders & Investors Paradise.

Week ended 22nd September: Iron Fly in the Nifty

Started by Michael Gonsalves, Sep 16, 2022, 04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Gonsalves

Initially I had a short straddle in the Nifty at 17600 intending it to be an intraday trader. When the Nifty dropped to 17500 I added another straddle. Thereafter, I decided to buy the legs and carry it overnight as an Iron Fly.

Michael Gonsalves

The Iron Fly is nicely placed in the center. The BEPs are far off. After the FOMC meeting, the IVs will cool down which should lead to decent profits.

Michael Gonsalves

My Iron Fly is in trouble because the Nifty gapped up and breached the upper BEP. To salvage the situation, I sold a naked straddle of 20 lots (which is half quantity) which has raised the upper BEP to 17925. My other option is to square off the trade and initiate a fresh one.

Michael Gonsalves

This Iron Fly would have yielded a handsome profit of Rs 3.45 Lakh  if i would have left it alone. However, i did not leave it alone. Instead, I exited yesterday at a loss of Rs 50000 because i was apprehensive that the FOMC would create unbearable volatility. I created a simpler Iron Fly with the center at 17700. This yielded a gain of about Rs 1 Lakh.