• Welcome to Traders & Investors Paradise.

Week ended 22nd September: Bank Nifty Futures Calendar Ratio

Started by Michael Gonsalves, Sep 15, 2022, 08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Gonsalves

I had bought Futures to salvage a naked Call short in the expiry of 15th September. The Call expired worthless and so I decided to shift the Call to the next expiry. I also sold a 42000 Call as additional precaution. This makes it a ratio spread with a lower BEP of 40700 and a higher BEP of 42800.

Michael Gonsalves

The Bank Nifty has softened a bit. My option is to either roll down the short calls or to add more quantities. As I am flush with funds, I chose to add more rather than rolling down. If the Bank Nifty comes closer to the BEP, I will either roll down the short calls (depending on the premium remaining) or add a Put Calendar to extend the lower BEP.

Michael Gonsalves

The Bank Nifty dipped further to 40500 and came close to the BEP. Instead of moving the Call shorts closer, I added a Put Calendar. This extended the lower BEP to 40400. On Monday or Tuesday, I will roll down the Call shorts if there is no bounce.

Michael Gonsalves

The Bank Nifty is presently at 41100. The trade is quite comfortably placed. I don't want to roll down the short calls because the market is looking bullish and also there is huge premium remaining in the 42000 Calls.

Michael Gonsalves

The Futures Ratio trade is showing a good profit of about Rs 67000 at present without any incremental adjustments. I intend to square off the trade tomorrow because the next day is the FOMC meeting which may create unmanageable volatility. I will shift the capital to some other trade.

Michael Gonsalves

The trade is nicely placed in the center with a MTM gain of Rs 1.75 Lakh. I don't want to carry it overnight because of the FOMC risk tomorrow. I will square if off either by the EOD or if the MTM gain is reduced to Rs 1.50 Lakh.

Michael Gonsalves

The market surged to 41640+ causing my MTM to dip to Rs 150000. I exited the position at that stage.

Michael Gonsalves

I now have a ratio calendar spread in place. It should (hopefully) be relatively easier to manage.